Work with humans, not robots.
- Values /
- Benefits /
1. Take care of each other
3. Produce amazing work
4. Speak up
Four values define the Big Spaceship experience and institutionalize our culture of shared ownership, which consistently produces outstanding, effective work. They foster a relaxed environment where all employees feel comfortable punching above their weight. As an organization with minimal hierarchy, you can feel confident suggesting the outlandish—we’ve got your back.
For a recent hack day, a few folks wrote and illustrated a book explaining the way we work in detail. It’s called Our Manual.
In addition to getting to work with friendly people in the greatest borough in the greatest city in the world, we offer a wide range of professional perks. We’re proud to have been named one of AdAge’s Best Places to Work for three years in a row.
- Health, Dental, Vision Insurance
- Transit Check
- Generous PTO
- Office closed between Christmas & New Years
SHOW & TELL
We frequently invite interesting people from a variety of backgrounds to share their experience with us. These are extraordinary opportunities.
Bagel or egg log? The debate goes on.
SNACKS, BEER & HOT SAUCE
The kitchen is well-stocked, and anything not labeled for personal use is fair game. The beer is almost never labeled.
The world was made to be hacked, and our hack day is one of the most beloved Big Spaceship traditions. Every so often, we pause all our usual work and break into small teams. Then we spend all day (and all night) creating something that makes the world a better place. The next morning, everyone presents what they’ve made. It’s something you’ll never forget.
RUN CLUB / WHISKEY CLUB
Work hard, play hard.
We don’t segregate people by department. Instead, you’ll sit with the other people who are working on your project. This means you’ll have daily contact with some of the most talented strategists, designers and technologists in the business.
We often say “we love professionals, we hate professionalism.” We’re not big on offices or hierarchy, but we are big on collaboration and straight talk. Like our Brooklyn home, we’re friendly, we’re playful and sometimes we break the rules. We’re an independent bunch, and we look for disciplined self-starters.
Sr. Art Director/Sr. Copywriter Team
We are seeking a Senior-level Art Director/Copywriter duo to join our team at Big Spaceship.
Big Spaceship is a digital agency based in Brooklyn that brings together product design, brand communications, and social content to help businesses thrive.
The Sr. Art Director/Sr. Copywriter team must be highly conceptual and have a portfolio of remarkable campaigns. The ideal team will be well-versed in all things digital and social with an insatiable desire to create imaginative concepts that push boundaries, capture the eye of consumers, and deliver business results for our clients. The duo will thrive in a fast-paced, highly collaborative environment and is passionate about the craft of storytelling.
ROLE + RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Ability to bring strong conceptual ideas that are strategically correct and on brief (or challenge the brief)
- Inspire those around you to think bigger and to always push creative boundaries
- Proven success across various industries and consumer types
- Strong ability to collaborate within your discipline, project team(s), and the agency as a whole
- Provide mentorship to help grow more junior team members
- Contribute to thought leadership for the discipline and the agency
SKILLS + EXPERIENCE:
- 7+ years of experience from a top digital agency (social experience a plus)
- Degree in related field
- Strong portfolio
- The proven ability to collaborate with each other and with colleagues across disciplines
- Experience providing leadership across disciplines and engagements
- Insatiably curious and a skilled internet trend spotter (aka you feel like this whenever someone asks if you’ve seen something online)
- Be an excellent communicator — not only to our clients but within the agency with respect to speaking up or delivering constructive feedback
- Possess a positive outlook and attitude
- Strong strategic and conceptual abilities
- Experience with all social media channels such as Twitter, Snapchat, Facebook, Tumblr, and Instagram
- Must be self-motivated, hard working, and work well against deadlines
- A strong knowledge of and love for pop culture is a big plus
VP, Analytics & Data Science
We believe how you do makes what you do. That’s why we sit in teams, not departments. That’s why we have values, not rules. That’s why we discuss our personal aspirations for projects before they start. If we can get it right on the inside – for our clients and our own company – then we believe our focus on solving business problems by solving human problems will thrive.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR:
We’re seeking a curious, down-to-earth, jargon-free VP of Analytics and Data Science with over 10 years of experience to lead a team of 10+ Analysts and Data Scientists. They must be a dynamic and visionary leader who will report to our CSO, working closely with our CCO + President to define the future of the agency.
- You grew up Internet, but love humans – This isn’t about spending every waking hour on Twitter. It’s about showing that you’ve played with a lot of the digital world, that you’ve experimented and learned – sometimes for work, sometimes for the sake of it.
- You grasp the fundamental concepts of the industry – You know how an insight differs from an observation, how strategy differs from principles and tactics, and how ideas differ from executions. And you can show work that consistently and surprisingly delivers to these concepts.
- You can work with fellow digital grownups – We’re an eclectic mix of designers, technologists, strategists, community strategists, creatives and producers. We aren’t loud and we’re always trying to achieve something new and powerful together.
CHARACTERISTICS WE’LL BE LOOKING FOR:
- LEADER: A love for helping others succeed and thrive through speaking, writing and teaching.
- THINKER & BUILDER: Have a handson, entrepreneurial approach – a ‘builder’ with the ability to identify and kickstart projects.
- STORY MAKER: Create narratives using data to reveal surprising stories in an information set, see patterns in a different way, fuse disparate data sources and build proprietary tools.
- GROW THE BUSINESS: Be able to lead new business efforts and hunt down and converting potential opportunities.
- COLLABORATOR: Knowing when to lead and when to follow, always looking to add value in the best way that helps the team. A hands on individual able to get their hands dirty, while focusing the skills of others on the team.
SKILLS WE’LL NEED TO SEE
- STRATEGY: Ability to link data thinking into overall client business issues and marketing/brand/comms strategies to identify new opportunities via techniques and tools.
- DIGITAL: Google analytics pro, full site testing, set up measurement and analysis of digital builds and campaigns. With experience in optimization (UX), SEO/SEM, customer journey and channel pathway analysis and recommend campaign optimization.
- SOCIAL: Deep understanding of social data, sources, nuance and nature. With practical skills in enterprise listening solutions such as Brandwatch and Crimson Hexagon. Proven and practical skills in social content analysis data and tools.
- CAMPAIGN & CONTENT: The ability to plan, extract and evaluate every kind of campaign from social, to digital, to paid, to fully integrated – this includes collaboration with other Big Spaceship disciplines in order to constantly test, learn, and optimize campaigns, interpret results and present findings in a compelling way to clients.
- ANALYSIS: Demonstrable experience and skills in collecting, planning, analyzing and interpreting a diversity of data structures using statistical methods as well as unconventional ‘strategy’ methods. I.e. Personas, Mapping of insights etc.
- DATA SCIENCE: A proficient understanding of the modern characteristics of Data Science and how they can be utilized in scalable ways for agency teams and client partners alike.
- PAID SOCIAL: A working knowledge of the paid social space by key platforms. The benefits, pitfalls and a history on how creative agencies can best work media partners to leverage the work.
- EXTERNAL SUPPLIERS: Be able to have relationships with a number of large data software and list suppliers, and accurately manage project elements including budgets.
EXPERIENCE YOU’LL HAVE
- A high-achieving academic and work background – degree in statistics/mathematics preferred.
- 10+ years data and/or insight experience, with a weighting towards creatively-based ‘Agencies’, including strong ‘digital’ experience and knowledge of social media tools.
- A diverse palette – from creating deep customer segmentations, to optimizing digital campaigns, websites or customer journeys, to optimizing campaigns. We need someone who is very well-rounded, and fired up by the emerging new digital and social opportunities.
- Experience in winning new business, leading teams and packaging solutions.
- Experience and/or knowledge of: SPSS, SAS, SQL, Omniture, Faststats, Smartfocus, Google Analytics, Hitwise, the principles behind econometrics analytics.
- Experience and/or knowledge of: Crimson Hexagon, Brandwatch, Sysomos MAP.
What About Me?
We’re always interested in hearing from talented designers, ux’ers, technologists, strategists, account types, and producer folk (and more!). But if you don’t see an opening for your specific talent right now, thats OK! It could be because we’re so busy looking for you we haven’t had time to update the website. More likely though we’re just not actively looking for your specific skill set right this second. There are only so many hours in the day and we prioritize looking at applications for the active openings listed on the site, which means we may miss someone awesome for the future. So rather than you applying into the internet job application black hole and wondering what the heck happened to it, send us a note through this link with our apologies in advance that we might take a while to get back to you. When we have an open role that fits your skills, you can bet we’ll be looking at your stuff then and will get back to you if we think you’re crew material.
Big Spaceship provides equal opportunity in employment and will administer its policies with regard to recruitment, training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, compensation and benefits without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability or status as a disabled veteran or veteran of the Vietnam era or any other characteristic or status protected by applicable law.