Work with humans, not robots.
- Values /
- Benefits /
1. Take care of each other
3. Produce amazing work
4. Speak up
Four values define the Big Spaceship experience and institutionalize our culture of shared ownership, which consistently produces outstanding, effective work. They foster a relaxed environment where all employees feel comfortable punching above their weight. As an organization with minimal hierarchy, you can feel confident suggesting the outlandish—we’ve got your back.
For a recent hack day, a few folks wrote and illustrated a book explaining the way we work in detail. It’s called Our Manual.
In addition to getting to work with friendly people in the greatest borough in the greatest city in the world, we offer a wide range of professional perks. We’re proud to have been named one of AdAge’s Best Places to Work for three years in a row.
- Health, Dental, Vision Insurance
- Transit Check
- Generous PTO
- Office closed between Christmas & New Years
SHOW & TELL
We frequently invite interesting people from a variety of backgrounds to share their experience with us. These are extraordinary opportunities.
Bagel or egg log? The debate goes on.
SNACKS, BEER & HOT SAUCE
The kitchen is well-stocked, and anything not labeled for personal use is fair game. The beer is almost never labeled.
The world was made to be hacked, and our hack day is one of the most beloved Big Spaceship traditions. Every so often, we pause all our usual work and break into small teams. Then we spend all day (and all night) creating something that makes the world a better place. The next morning, everyone presents what they’ve made. It’s something you’ll never forget.
RUN CLUB / WHISKEY CLUB
Work hard, play hard.
We don’t segregate people by department. Instead, you’ll sit with the other people who are working on your project. This means you’ll have daily contact with some of the most talented strategists, designers and technologists in the business.
We often say “we love professionals, we hate professionalism.” We’re not big on offices or hierarchy, but we are big on collaboration and straight talk. Like our Brooklyn home, we’re friendly, we’re playful and sometimes we break the rules. We’re an independent bunch, and we look for disciplined self-starters.
Client Finance Analyst
Our Finance team works to ensure financial health and facilitate responsible growth of client opportunities, capabilities and talent.
- Serve as a finance point of contact and partner to client facing and other internal departments
- Partner with account and production leads in managing client P&Ls to ensuring operational efficiency from a financial perspective.
- Prepare client P&L and productivity analysis vs. budget, burn and other financial reports.
- Coordinate with client and billing teams to ensure timely and accurate invoicing.
- Review client expenses and research to determine if costs are billable.
- Update and/or monitor client staffing on a regular basis.
- Track costs against budget and client agreements.
- Meet regularly with client facing teams to review client finances and budget tracking.
- Advise internal teams on financial processes.
- Effectively communicate and manage client finances with internal teams to ensure understanding of the finances of each scope of work.
- Support Accounting with entry work and assorted analysis.
The ideal person:
- Has a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance, with experience in an advertising agency or consulting company.
- Has two to four years of overall experience.
- Has intermediate to advanced Excel skills.
- Has excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills.
- Can communicate accounting in layperson speak.
- Can comfortable working alongside client services personnel.
- Is self-motivated who enjoys challenges.
- Is organized with strong attention to detail.
- Has a strong work ethic.
Director of Talent & Culture
Functioning in a generalist capacity, the Director of Talent will provide the employees of Big Spaceship with support, focusing primarily on a hands-on approach to Talent Management. The Director of Talent role is a foundational-building role that affords key learnings to determine the expansion and growth of our new Talent & Culture team within the organization. This person will be instrumental in identifying the structure and needs of the Talent team at Big Spaceship.
This role will involve programs and development of Talent + HR processes that mirror the employee life cycle: Talent Acquisition / Recruitment, Onboarding, Retention / Development, and Exit. Overall, The Director of Talent will support the everyday business function. This person will participate in the development of Big Spaceship’s plans and programs as a strategic partner but particularly from the perspective of the impact on our people.
- Design and implement an overall recruitment strategy
- Search for exceptional talent both within the advertising industry and other innovative + strategic approaches
- Set and implement diversity and inclusion goals/priorities for the year and champion those initiatives
- Manage candidates through the recruitment process; act as the connector between candidates and BSS, schedule interviews, grab feedback, extend and negotiate offers, and provide timely responses to all rejected applicants. Overall, keep the momentum going
- Build a strong proactive candidate talent pipeline; Prep and post jobs to appropriate job boards / sites / colleges, etc., network through industry contacts, memberships, employees + recruitment events
- Identify and coordinate college recruiting initiatives
- Provide regular status updates to the management team + hiring managers of open positions and recruitment status
- Conduct regular follow up with hiring managers to determine the effectiveness of recruiting plans and approach
- Report on talent acquisition metrics for the business. Translate these metrics into meaningful, actionable data that drive business decisions (Ie, Time to Fill, Offer Acceptance Rate, Source of Application, Source of Hire, etc.)
- Lead new hires into the organization through a rigorous onboarding program. Work to refine and tweak the current process
LEARNING + DEVELOPMENT
- Identify a tool suitable for administering performance reviews for the entire agency. Partner with the leaders of the organization to plan and implement a new review process
- Provide coaching, best practice resources and ongoing development planning with the leadership team and people managers
- Identify opportunities for learning and development programs for employees and set goals for the upcoming year
PEOPLE OPERATIONS + CULTURE
- Streamline the approach to handling employee relations issues; act as a resource and sounding board for managers dealing with ER challenges
- Partner, consult and provide proactive solutions to managers on all talent and HR issues including retention, performance and communications
- Share industry best practices in talent management to ensure we are constantly challenging ourselves to have industry leading standards
- Establish credibility throughout the organization at all levels in order to be an effective listener and problem solver of department issues
- Work with management team to maintain and develop the strong culture, driving a high level of engagement throughout the organization and ensure BSS’ core values are implemented throughout the organization
- Manage staff responsible for compensation and benefits design/administration, HR systems, contractor management, compliance, reporting, visa administration and overall HR process
- Provide guidance to employees on all Talent/HR-related policies and procedures
- Assess the competitiveness of all programs and practices against comparable companies, industries and markets
What You’ll Need:
- A passion for people. You should be smart, thoughtful, emotionally intelligent and excited to bring out the best in people
- Strong communication skills. As the first Talent hire, you’ll teach senior leadership what Talent is and help prioritize what’s important
- Experience with benefits, payroll, compliance and all other HR processes
- Excellent instincts, but use data and quantitative reason to support them
- Great attention to detail and the ability to think on your feet
Senior Content Strategist
We’re looking for a Senior Content Strategist to join our crew here at Big Spaceship on an established mobile gaming-focused client.
The ideal candidate for this position is well rounded, with strong social strategic sensibilities, a creative flair, a passion for innovative Social Media, and a proactive spirit to make great work.
You should be dialed-into gaming and Social Media innovation, and come from an entertainment-focused background with entertainment marketing experience and a passion for entertainment in all shapes and forms.
Roles + Responsibilities
- Define and implement social and content strategies for the overall brand and specific projects.
- Manage influencer and community campaigns and integration
- Be the team oracle of Internet and gaming culture
- Provide strategic guidance on supporting campaigns with paid media
- Concept and collaborate on strategically led creative ideas,including participation in brainstorms, assistance in the construction of concepts and contribution to campaign-based creative
- Able to evolve creative ideas through intricate knowledge of the Social Media landscape, developments, platforms, formats and best practices
Communication & Management
- Ability to professionally and enthusiastically communicate and collaborate with team and clients
- Communication of creative strategies and ideas to senior members of our internal team, clients and partners
- Writing and publishing content across various Social Media platforms
- Deliver Social Media campaigns and ad hoc day-to-day activities
Skills + Experience
- 5+ years of professional Social Media experience. Agency preferred.
- Clear understanding of the Social Media marketing space, an ongoing passion for Social Media trends and innovation
- Interest and knowledge of the mobile gaming space – professional experience a plus.
- Strong creative and professional writing skills, particularly short form content
- Deck building and presentation skills
- Experience with Google Docs, Slides, Sheets
- Experience with Social Media publishing programs (i.e. Sprinklr, Hootsuite, SproutSocial)
- Proactive & Enthusiastic
- Organized & detail-oriented
- Flexible & resilient
Senior Data Strategist
There are three reasons why the strategically hungry come to Brooklyn’s Big Spaceship: to break free from thinking-by-department, to get closer to making, and to work with clients striving to recalibrate their businesses.
We believe how you do makes what you do. That’s why we sit in teams, not departments. That’s why we have values, not rules. That’s why we discuss our personal aspirations for projects before they start. If we can get it right on the inside – for our clients and our own company – then we believe our focus on solving business problems by solving human problems will thrive.
What we need in you
We’re currently looking for a curious, down-to-earth, jargon-free data strategist with over 5 years experience.
Here’s what we need in you:
- You grew up digital – This isn’t about spending every waking hour on Twitter. It’s about showing that you’ve played with a lot of the digital world, that you’ve experimented and learned – sometimes for work, sometimes for the sake of it.
- You grasp the fundamental concepts of the industry – You know how an insight differs from an observation, how a strategy differs from principles and tactics, and how ideas differ from executions. And you can show work that consistently and surprisingly delivers to these concepts.
- You can work with fellow digital grown-ups – We’re an eclectic mix of designers, technologists, strategists and producers. We aren’t loud and we’re always trying to achieve something new and powerful together.
The skills we’ll need to you have
- Analytics powered strategy – You’ll be able to show examples of how you’ve wrestled science and intuition to understand business problems, to find provocative insights, and to create strategies that have ideas.
- Ideas – You’ll have them and help the team have them.
- Digital marketing – You’ll be able to turn digital and social data thinking into ideas.
- Social media and content – You’ll understand what’s happening online and why, you’ll be able see great content in the analysis and on face value.
- Communications and experience planning – You’ll know how to orchestrate an idea so that it doesn’t just launch and… then nothing. And you’ll be able to develop people-centric experience plans (or customer journeys).
- Take the lead in working closely with internal teams and clients to assess, design and deliver the right data strategy to help make numbers a continuous source of utility in their lives
- Deliver analysis of digital/social campaigns, content performance & social ROI/conversation in a set cadence (monthly & quarterly updates), and/or through ad hoc requests
- Help define digital measurement plans, campaign goals and KPI’s for the team to execute
- Work closely with strategists to unearth solid audience insights and continually refine process of how analytics fuels strategy, creative ideas and tactical plans
- Collaborate closely with data scientists in developing innovative research methodologies, influencer ID and new ways of measuring and tracking the impact of content and social on the client/brand/business
- Educate internal teams & clients on using data effectively by guiding them to ask the right questions
- Build a strong relationship with the client and lead direct communication for all analytics and measurement needs on a daily basis
- Should be comfortable working independently in cross-functional teams in high pressure situations
- Represent Big Spaceship and lead interagency meetings on all things data and analytics
- Be proactive and innovative with solutions to meet client goals and client education
- Demonstrate a strong focus on client satisfaction and delivery
- Take pride in contributing to create a focused, highly impactful data and analytics department. The aim is to be world class
- Mentor and guide junior analysts- teach, delegate and empower to help them succeed
- Lead new business pitches from a data strategy and analytics perspective
- Innovate your craft: Grow the discipline’s capabilities with strategic and creative use of data and have a strong POV on how/what to do and best practices
- Commit to sharing work and expertise across the team to help maintain our culture of continuous knowledge sharing and learning from one another
- Identify and assess good third party analytics and data vendors based on opportunities or client needs and maintain ongoing vendor relations
Solid experience and in depth knowledge in:
- Power users of social listening tools like Crimson Hexagon and Sysomos etc.
- Social content analytics (earned, owned and paid)- Facebook Insights, Twitter analytics, Iconosquare, Social Bakers etc.
- Experience with Influencer identification and Influencer Strategy
- Campaign Analytics and Paid Media like DoubleClick
- Audience research tools like MRI and Audience segmentation
- Website Analytics is a plus
- 4-6 years agency experience in social/digital analytics, data strategy, marketing analytics, paid social ad platforms.
- Intermediate to Advanced Excel (sorting data, pivot tables, advanced functions, charting)
- Advanced Statistical aptitude
- Personable and works well with cross functional and multidisciplinary teams – junior to senior, creative to media, design to strategy, etc.
- Eagerness to work in a collaborative, startup team environment that will be rapidly changing.
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills and ability to communicate complex information in simple digestible formats
- Experience in data science or working closely with data scientists
Bonus points if you can rock any of these
- Big bonus if you have experience using SQL to join, extract and manipulate data from large data sets. Experience with Python, R, SAS, Tableau or other data manipulation tools a plus.
- Writing – You’ll need to write stuff for Big Spaceship
- Talking and teaching – We want you educating others and building a profile
- Visa and US citizenship is good – but we’re open to hearing from people overseas
- Recommendations on your LinkedIn profile
What About Me?
We’re always interested in hearing from talented designers, ux’ers, technologists, strategists, account types, and producer folk (and more!). But if you don’t see an opening for your specific talent right now, thats OK! It could be because we’re so busy looking for you we haven’t had time to update the website. More likely though we’re just not actively looking for your specific skill set right this second. There are only so many hours in the day and we prioritize looking at applications for the active openings listed on the site, which means we may miss someone awesome for the future. So rather than you applying into the internet job application black hole and wondering what the heck happened to it, send us a note through this link with our apologies in advance that we might take a while to get back to you. When we have an open role that fits your skills, you can bet we’ll be looking at your stuff then and will get back to you if we think you’re crew material.
Big Spaceship provides equal opportunity in employment and will administer its policies with regard to recruitment, training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, compensation and benefits without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, marital status, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability or status as a disabled veteran or veteran of the Vietnam era or any other characteristic or status protected by applicable law.