July 12th, 2011
Fostering a Creative Culture
Michael Lebowitz recently gave the keynote presentation at St. Louis University’s Institute for Private Business Seminar Series. His talk, Empowering a Culture of Creativity, explains how we use our company culture and the values weve developed to drive innovation. Its also a solid primer on the underlying philosophy, structure and approach we have here a Big Spaceship 101.
The last slide sums it up nicely:
How to Empower Creativity
- Define your purpose
- Agree on your values
- Develop a culture that rewards sharing and collaboration
- Allow everything to be questioned
- Embrace frameworks over processes
- Create an environment thats open and empowering
- Look for efficiency only where its needed
- Let people explore and discover encourage tinkering
- Dont penalize well thought out decisions that dont work
- Dont confuse creativity with art
Also, in case youre curious about the sound of a world sans collaboration (slide 39) go here.